1840s Ensemble

Caddie gets a new full outfit at last. I tried to stick to a 1840s theme, but I have so much more research to do and new patterns to make. This isn't close enough to call accurate, but I'm content that each new dress will be closer to accuracy. 

Her dress is cut from a blue flat sheet using my perfect bodice pattern as a base, and widening the sleeves to gather. The bodice trim is ruched cotton strips over narrow lace, and matching cotton trims the sleeves above the elbows. I cut her skirt in a rectangle so that when tightly gathered it would form the popular bell shape of the era. It's similarly trimmed with more of the patterned cotton covering the hem. I'm pleased with the silhouette and shape, but the bodice needs more work and pattern customization.



I am IN LOVE with this bonnet. It took me two days to finish, 100% handsewn. I used leftover twill from my Regency stays for the middle lining, and silky polyester from old pajamas for the outer layer and inner lining. I trimmed the outer side of the bonnet before stitching the pieces together. I ruched a strip of pink cotton and after basting it down, covered my loose gathering and basting stitches neatly with pink (polyester) satin ribbon. I then piped the edges and sewed the outer shell together, and sewed the lining in with a whip stitch at the edges only. Two layers of lace, one eyelet, one floral, frame the face in the inner layer. I covered my stitches on the ribbon ties with pink roses off a rose trim from Hobby Lobby. 


My inspiration for the bonnet was literally me thinking "man, I have a lot of pink trim, I'm going to make the most ridiculous decorated 1840 bonnet for my doll". I love the face framing effect of lace inside the bonnet.


And, of course, behind every poofy skirt is a petticoat. I've been admiring beautiful homemade American girl petticoats from afar, and finally decided to try my hand. I wish I'd made three smaller tucks, but am still quite happy with the finished piece. It fastens with a teeny button at the back of the waist. I'm seriously considering going out and buying corn starch just to starch this tiny petti, because, how cute would that be?!


This whole outfit took one week to complete, which is why I will never be a rich and famous doll clothier, but I can still see my work on my own shelves and make my little heart happy 😄

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First American Girl!

Pink Regency Dress

New acessories for Felicity